Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Our Brain on Learning...

Oh the ways of the brain....will we ever truly understand it? Well I know that I won't ever fully understand it but I can definitely try to understand it enough to help me to create meaningful learning.

I am currently part of a class on Learning Theories and Instruction, and this week we have been talking about the brain and how it processes information. The good news, is that despite what I have heard my whole life, I do use my right brain as well! :D Each side of the brain works together to communicate and form itself around the stimulation that it gets.

So what really is the driver of our own learning experience? Is it our brain process, our learning style, our own motivation, or possibly all three things. I have seen some brilliant people, who when faced with certain challenges, excel at them without much effort, but that same person won't get up and do more than work at a Fast Food restaurant. Is this where motivation becomes the essential piece of their learning puzzle? I on the other hand have an abundance of motivation to learn, but when I sit in a classroom with someone "talking at" me for an hour, I can't retain much more than 10% of what was said. I then have to go and read the content, and find a way to engage my learning style so that I can file away the information - or not - depending on the topic. :D

Here is a great article from the course that I am taking, which speaks to learning and memory. This is gives a very interesting perspective on our long and short term memory. The second link provided is a great online resource for all things brain, and there is a great library with many resources dealing with some of these brain questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment