Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Connecting Connections

Mind mapping is a very effective way to look at networks and the important connections of those connections. Recently I mapped my connections and I quickly realized that my map could potentially never end. My connections and networks create not only a support system but also a learning network! I just scratched the surface of my network connections and my personal and professional connections intersect in many places.

These networks keep challenging me to learn more and more because I see what other people are questioning which many times are concepts that I would like to more about. So these other people from around the world are keeping me interested in researching and drawing on my own experience to not only expand my own knowledge but also respond to them and expand their knowledge. In the same way, these potentially thousands of people will respond to my questions based on their own research and experience. This supports the foundations of the connectivism theory because I am able to tap into this network and gain a wealth of information that I would not otherwise know.

Connectivism presents that learning is created in social environments. The question that comes to mind is where is learning actually occuring? Is learning occuring imply because of the connections, or is learning occuring due to my own experiences and ambition. It seems that they may be co-dependent.....without the connections, where would I gain the "learning spark" to use my amition on...or without the ambition, would I ever use these connections to learn anything? It seems that when looking at adult learning theory, there are as many connections there, as there are in looking at my own learning networks.

Through the connections listed in my mind map below, there are many details extending beyond what is listed. In an effort to keep my map "readable" I stopped at the 3rd tier of connection. Beyond the 3rd tier, there are people and online tools that have come out from my connections. These are priceless tools that I may have never come across if it wasn't for my connections. One example of that is Research.ly....an amazing real time tool to search all of the social postings for specific words....you are able to find real time information on what people are talking about. I found this tool through a professional network, through a training session on Captivate, the instructor showed us this tool. It is amazing really taking a deep look into what our connections and networks really give us. Don't take any connection for granted and contribute as much as possible, you never know who you are helping!

If you are interested in creating your own mind map, check out this site - https://bubbl.us/



No comments:

Post a Comment