Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Own Learning

Seven short weeks ago I started taking a course on Learning Theory. We have researched various theories in these last weeks including; Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism, Social Learning, Connectivism, and Adult Learning. When I first started this course, I saw myself as identifying with a hybrid of Cognitivism and Constructivism. These theories support learning through the learner having a very learner interactive experience where they are able to create meaning and use their own experiences.  Now that I have looked at various other theories, do I still hold to this hybrid theory?
Connectivism and it’s approach to utilizing networks for concepts in rapid change, and needing this continuous flow of knowledge is a very strong argument that I feel is more than valid. However I don’t see this as a theory in and of itself that an instructional designer could solely base learning on. I think that Connectivism is something that designers must keep in mind as a tool to help learners, because face it, in today’s technology world – information is changing faster than we can teach it. Connectivism gives a path for a learner to continue their learning rather informally, but doesn’t provide a foundation for that learning.  I personally have a very strong network to keep information coming in from all different points of view and experience, but through the Connectivism theory, I still find myself identifying with my hybrid Con-Cogism.  I find this same approach when looking a the other learning theories as well, this hybrid theory I feel provides a very strong foundation to designing effective learning that will give learners the best chance at an effective learning experience.
My own learning is very tied to this Con-Cogism learning theory, and using technology is a very effective way to facilitate this learning. Theory gives us the foundation of the effective learning, technology gives learners the tools to build and continue that learning. Technology gives the learner a method to take learning on the road through the use of mobiles such as the iPad and iPhone. Learners are also able to create learning through online research and networks, which would not have been possible before technology.  There are also online storage systems that we can use to store all of the information and share with other’s in the field. Technology has become a common in the classroom as a pencil used to be, the nature of learning has evolved to this technology state. Designers must be technologically savvy to build learning sessions that incorporate the technology that is so valuable in our world today.

"Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand." Confucius, circa 450 BC .

No comments:

Post a Comment